After a bit of a hiatus, I'm ready to jump back into learning XML. I thought I would list the resources that have been provided in class, as well as some new ones that I've accumulated.
First, the links that Arnie provided:
A Gentle Introduction to XML
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p4-doc/html/SG.html
The CoverPages
http://xml.coverpages.org/
W3C Standards
http://www.w3.org/standards/
Markup: XML & Related Technologies (available on e-reserve; login through Aladin required)
https://www.aladin.wrlc.org/Z-WEB/Aladin?req=db&key=ALADINPROXY&url=http://eresgw.wrlc.org/x/docs/gelm/grossblatt_arnie/KasdorfMarkupXMLRel81334.pdf
Then, the few that I've collected through my own research and friends' suggestions, which are more targeted to this project:
Adobe's InDesign and XML
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/08/04/indesign.html
XML Publishing with InDesign CS2+
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596513993/
XML Tutorials & Training through Lynda.com
http://www.lynda.com/home/ViewCourses.aspx?lpk0=203
XML 101
http://webdesign.about.com/c/ec/7.htm
Additionally, I purchased a book that I hope will come in handy:
A Designer’s Guide to Adobe InDesign and XML
http://www.amazon.com/Designers-Guide-Adobe-InDesign-XML/dp/0321503554/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289361044&sr=8-1
One thing I’ve noticed as I’ve read through these supposed introductory resources is that there is little written for someone like me, or for that matter, anyone who doesn’t have a programming background. In lieu of finding an ideal, perfect resource that is directly tailored towards small publishers looking to do with their material what we’re planning on doing with ours—one that probably only exists in my wildest dreams—the InDesign and XML book seems promising in that it comes right out to say:
“If you’re a programmer, this book may not be for you. But if you are a visual creative person, and long passages of code make your head spontaneously burst into flames, then this book is for you.
The two of us writing this book are not programmers. We are not coders. We are designers. Designers who, from time to time, have to dabble under the hood, get our hands dirty in the code, and mess with the gears and cogs that make the magic happen. That’s why this is called A Designer’s Guide to Adobe InDesign and XML—we wrote this book for people like us.”
I’m looking forward to reading further into it and trying out some of the suggested steps. I am also strongly considering trying out Lynda.com’s tutorials. I’ll be sure to update with what resources I end up using and share whatever progress I make.
No comments:
Post a Comment