So far, my self-directed research on XML and where I can take it has been both confusing and overwhelming. As I mentioned in my previous post, not being in the target audience for many of these resources leaves me behind, both in my lack of prior knowledge and my slightly out-of-the-ordinary goal. I feel like I’m pretty clear on the basic definition of XML, and I don’t feel the need to oversaturate myself with the technical details of the language, but I haven’t felt like I’ve made enough of a connection to determine the steps I need to take to get from Point A (where I am now) to Point B (beautiful, functional XML).
After considering my options and weighing the recommendations of friends of mine, I decided to take the plunge and get a month-long Lynda.com subscription (with exercise files) to accelerate my learning. Lynda has a vast library of topics that range from broad to narrow, from blogging to Photoshop, and cover almost anything imaginable. Under the XML category, there are four choices: XML Essential Training, ActionScript 3.0: Working with XML, Real-World XML, and InDesign CS5: Dynamic Publishing Workflows in XML. To start, I’ve selected XML Essential Training, which is an introductory level course that runs for 5 hours and 48 minutes. I’ve enjoyed the narrated video format, and I’m anxious to continue watching. Once I get further into the course, I should have a better idea of whether it’s applicable to what I’m doing, but it seems very promising!
No comments:
Post a Comment