To start, I’ll provide a quick rundown of my company and our current production status. I work for the Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy, a scholarly, peer-reviewed publication that publishes monthly issues in print and online, serving about 28,750 subscribers worldwide. While we collaborate with hundreds of content experts and contract some parts of the process to outside individuals and vendors, the majority of the work to produce the Journal is done by our four full-time staff members. This can be a challenge when we are held to the standards that larger competitors are setting, as we struggle to adopt new practices that are outside of our staff’s collective skill set. We have spent much time discussing conversion to XML and have agreed that it is long overdue to serve the needs of our readers.
I am embarking on this project to investigate four main questions:
- What is XML, and how can it be used to enhance the online delivery of our publication?
- At what step in our workflow should we insert conversion to XML?
- Given our limited resources, is it feasible to keep XML conversion in-house, or should we contract it out to a third-party vendor?
- Once we’ve established conversion to XML for the basic purpose of delivering our articles on the web, what further steps can we take to deliver the material beyond our site, such as to e-reading devices?
While I hope to make it all the way through the fourth question, I also know my own limitations as someone with no background in programming or even web design. I don’t expect that this will be easy, or that I will be able to master it over the course of such a short time. I simply hope to learn as much as possible and contribute what I can to the advancement and betterment of my publication.
I plan on updating as I make progress, sharing resources and helpful information along the way. Please feel free to follow along and comment, whether it’s to share your own experience with XML, suggest a resource, or tell me I’m completely wrong about something. Any and all feedback is definitely appreciated and encouraged!
No comments:
Post a Comment